This Slow Cooker Baked Ziti is actually made completely in the crockpot — even the pasta! It is so much easier than the traditional version but packs all of the same flavor!
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 4 hrs
1 lb ground beef, turkey or Italian sausage
1 onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 (28oz) can diced tomatoes
1 650ml jar pasta sauce (about 2 1/2 cups)
2 1/2 cups water or chicken broth
1 375g box Penne or Ziti (or other short) pasta (about 4 cups)
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef and onion until browned. Stir in garlic and salt and cook 1 minute.
- Add beef mixture, basil, parsley, tomatoes, pasta sauce and water to a 4qt (or larger) slow cooker. Stir.
- Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours.
- Add pasta and stir until combined. Cover and continue cooking for 20-45 minutes (depending on how hot your slow cooker is) — check and stir at the 20 minute mark.
- Sprinkle with cheese and cover for 3-5 minutes until cheese is melted.