Total Time: 2 hrs 5 mins
Prep Time: 2 hrs
Cook Time: 5 mins
- 200 g veal shoulder, cubed
- 1 bouquet garni
- 400 ml beef stock
- 30 g butter
- 30 g flour
- salt and pepper
- 2 eggs
- 100 g breadcrumbs
- sunflower oil (for frying)
- French mustard
- In a pan put meat, bouquet garni and beef stock slowly to the boil and simmer for about 1 hour until meat is tender.
- Strain off 200 ml stock into a measuring jug.
- Slice the cooked meat very thinly.
- Melt the butter in a pan and stir in the flour.
- Add the stock, while stirring, and continue stirring until the sauce is thick and smooth.
- Leave the sauce to cook gently for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the meat and add salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste.
- Pour the ragout onto a flat plate and refrigerate until firm.
- (Best to make this one day in advance) In a deep plate beat the eggs with one tablespoon of water.
- Shape the ragout into 24 balls (Little bit smaller than golfball) and roll in the breadcrumbs.
- Then roll in the beaten eggs and breadcrumbs again.
- Repeat until well coated.
- Heat oil in a deep fat fryer to 180 degrees celcius.
- Deep fry croquettes 6 at the time for 3-4 minutes until brown and crisp.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Serve the warm’bitterballen’ on a plate with a serving of mustard next to it.