Get ready for a pasta dinner that’s both mom- and kid-approved. So you can dive in, knowing that the pasta everybody’s twirling around their forks doesn’t just taste great—it’s pretty healthy too.
Yield : 4 servings
Prep Time : 15 mins
Total Time : 30 mins
- 6 ounces whole-grain spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 bunch kale, thick stems removed and leaves torn into bite-size pieces (about 8 cups)
- 2 pints grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup chopped roasted almonds
- 1/4 cup grated pecorino (1 ounce), plus more for serving
1-Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Reserve ¼ cup of the cooking water; drain the pasta and return it to the pot.
2- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ⅛ teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, 4 to 5 minutes.
3- Add the kale and cook, tossing frequently, until tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook, tossing frequently, until the tomatoes begin to soften, 1 to 2 minutes more.
4- Add the kale mixture, almonds, pecorino, and reserved cooking water to the pasta and toss to combine. Serve with additional pecorino.