Total Time: 30 mins
- 2 medium onions
- 1⁄4 cup unbleached flour
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1 cup carrots or 1 cup parsnip, sliced
- 1 cup turnips or 1 cup rutabaga
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄2 cup split red lentils
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup Braggs liquid aminos or 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 3 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons marmite
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon rosemary
- 1⁄4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein, chunks
- In a large, lightly oiled pot steam fry the onion until it begins to soften [that means cook it in a bit of water] Add flour and stir around completely.
- Add the remaining ingredients, mix well, bring to boil. Cover and simmer on low for 30 minutes or until vegetables are done.
- Taste and season.
- Note: The turnips should be large dice. The carrots round sliced. You may use other yeast extract than marmite.
- Also look in speciality or finer food stores for the Marmite. It is a British product. I find mine in Wegmans in PA/NY.