Dizziness is something that most of us experience at some point in our lives. It is a feeling of light-headedness, unsteadiness or loss of balance and can cause fainting. Dizziness with a feeling of spinning is referred to as vertigo, which is different from the nonspecific light-headedness.
If your dizziness is not very frequent, you can try some natural home remedies to take care of the problem. However, if symptoms persist or occur more frequently, consult a doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for dizziness:
Sit or lie down. Dizziness or light-headedness usually hits when you are standing up or moving around. At the first signs of dizziness or light-headedness, sit or lie down immediately. This will usually help to relieve the spinning sensation and is safer in the event that you fall.
- If you’re sitting down, try putting your head between your legs. This increases the blood flow to your brain. Lying down will achieve the same result.
- Remain seated or lying down for 1-2 minutes, or until the dizziness has passed.
Drink Water. Dehydration is a common cause of dizziness. This can be due to not drinking water for a long time or failing to rehydrate your body during and after exercise. Dehydration can also result from vomiting or diarrhea that causes excessive fluid loss.
- When you feel dizzy, try drinking a glass of water. To keep dehydration and dizziness at bay, drink an ample amount of water throughout the day.
- You can also try drinking herbal tea with a little honey, soups and broths, or fruit juices.
Have something to eat. Dizziness can be caused by low blood sugar levels, especially for diabetics.When dizziness hits, try eating a quick snack, preferably something high in carbohydrates or sugar. A bar of chocolate or a banana might do the trick.
Breathe deeply. Dizziness can sometimes be a symptom of an anxiety attack. Often during anxiety attacks it feels as though you cannot get a full breath. But usually the problem is that you’re trying to breathe too much. If this is the case, try breathing slowly and deeply. This will help you to calm down and alleviate feelings of dizziness.
Ginger is a time-tested remedy for dizziness and the nausea that often accompanies it. It stimulates blood flow to the brain and other parts of the body, which helps reduce the intensity of dizziness.
- Chew on a small slice of fresh ginger root or suck on ginger candies to overcome dizziness.
- Drinking ginger ale or ginger tea a few times daily will help prevent dizziness.
- Another option is to take ginger supplements after consulting your doctor for the appropriate dosage.