1 cup butter
1 cup water
¼ cup cocoa
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
⅛ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
Icing (recipe below)
½ cup butter
¼ cup cocoa
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
1 box (1 pound) confectioners’ sugar (sift it first to remove lumps – otherwise icing remains lumpy)
½ teaspoon vanilla
Chopped Pecans (optional)
How to make it :
For the cake:
- In a saucepan, combine the butter, water and cocoa over med. heat until the butter melts. Don’t let it cook too long.
- In a separate bowl, combine the sugar, flour, salt, eggs, and baking soda.
- Add the butter mixture to the dry ingredients. Careful, it’s hot.
- Add the sour cream and vanilla and mix well.
- Pour into a sheet cake pan or jelly roll pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
For the icing:
- In a saucepan, combine the butter, cocoa and milk over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Immediately remove from heat and combine with confectioners sugar and vanilla.
- Mix well with a mixer to remove lumps.
- Spread over the sheet cake while it is STILL hot.
- You can either mix the chopped pecans into the icing before pouring it over the hot sheet cake, or sprinkle them over the top after you put the icing on (or omit all together)