Total Time: 2 hrs
Yield: 1 cake
1 1⁄4 cups butter (not light) or 2 1⁄2 sticks regular margarine (not light)
2 1⁄2 cups sugar
1 (12 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
3 1⁄2 cups flour
1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
1 ⁄2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
- Prepare your cake pan. Coat with shortening and flour. I use a very old aluminum “tube” pan. The hole is smaller than the newer ones, but use pan of your choice.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat butter and sugar at high speed until soft and smooth. (I use a heavy-duty Kitchen Aid mixer).
- Add condensed milk and beat until well blended.
- Add eggs, one at a time and beat well after each addition.
- Add flour one cup at a time and beat well.
- Add vanilla and beat well.
- Bake 1 hour and 30 minutes. I put aluminum foil around my pan so the crust won’t get too dark. Also the last 20-30 minutes I lay foil over top to prevent the crust from being too dark.
- Alow to cool for 30 minutes before removing from pan.