1 lb ground Hot Italian sausage
1 bag Simply Potatoes diced potatoes and onions (can substitute with 1 diced yellow onion and 4 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed)
2 cloves large garlic minced
32 oz chicken stock
1/2 bunch kale (a couple of handfuls) de-stemmed and torn into bite sized
1 cup heavy cream
2 Tbsp flour
Salt and pepper to taste
Pinch of red pepper flakes optional
Heat large saute pan over medium high heat and brown sausage.
Add minced garlic and stir to combine.
Drain off the grease and then add sausage and garlic to the bottom of slow cooker.
Add bag of diced potatoes and onion, cover with chicken stock and water (if necessary) to completely cover potatoes and sausage.
Cover and cook on LOW for 5-6 hours or HIGH for 3-4 (potatoes should be soft)
Whisk together heavy cream and flour until well mixed. Pour into slow cooker, add kale and stir to combine.
Cover and cook on HIGH for 30 minutes until soup has thickened slightly.
Taste, season according to your tastes, and serve.
** if desired, top soup with slices of crumbled peppered bacon
** goes great with a nice crusty bread
- In your dutch oven or large soup pot, brown the Italian sausage and red pepper flakes over MED-HIGH heat. The last minute or two, add minced garlic. Drain.
- Add chicken stock and bag of diced potatoes and onion (or substituted russet potatoes and diced onion), bring to a boil.
- Keep at a low boil for about 20 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender (this time will vary based on your stove).
- Whisk flour and heavy cream and add to pot, stirring to combine.
- Add in kale, stir, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for about 5-10 minutes (or until soup has thickened slightly).
- Season with salt and pepper, and serve