This Slow Cooker Tuscan White Bean Soup with Sausage is a warming meal on chilly days. It’s easy to put together and your crock pot does the work for you – perfect to have dinner waiting for you on busy weeknights!
1/2 pound Italian Sausage
2 Onions, chopped
3 cloves Garlic, minced
2 tablespoons Tomato Paste
1/2 cup Dry White Wine, or more chicken broth
28 ounces Chicken Broth
1 14.5 ounce can Diced Tomatoes
1 15 ounce can Tomato Sauce
2 Carrots, peeled and sliced
3 stalks Celery, sliced
1 Green Pepper, diced
2 tablespoons Dried Italian Herbs
2 sprigs Fresh Rosemary, optional
1/2 cup Roasted Red Peppers, diced
1/2 cup Orzo Pasta, uncooked
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 15 ounce can White Beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups Baby Spinach, or chopped kale
- Brown sausage in a skillet over medium heat. Remove to your crockpot.
- Add the onion, garlic, celery and carrots to the hot pan and cook until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste and the Italian seasoning. Pour the white wine (or 1/2 cup chicken broth) into the pan and bring it to a boil, scraping the browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Add the broth, tomatoes, and tomato sauce and bring to a boil. Take off the heat.
- Carefully transfer to a 5-6 quart slow cooker together with the remaining ingredients EXCEPT for the orzo pasta, white beans and kale/spinach.
- Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or on HIGH for 3-4 hours. Stir in the remaining ingredients and cook on HIGH for about 15 minutes or until the pasta is done.