If you want to keep the “spicyness” down then use mild Ro-tel and mild enchilada sauce. You can use any combination of cheeses, but I highly, highly recommend using sharp and pepper jack, it’s so good!
When you dump the shredded chicken back in, it may seem like there is too much liquid, but after you add the rice and beans, the rice absorbs the excess liquid, so don’t drain any of the liquid off.
The chipotle pepper in adobo sauce comes in a can, you can find it down the Mexican food aisle. Because you don’t need the entire can, I chop up what I need and then put the rest of it in a Ziploc bag and freeze it. Then when I need it for other recipes or when I make this again, I cut of a chunk off and chop it up. Make sure you pour the entire contents of the can into the bag, sauce and all.
Please make sure you use smoked paprika, it makes a huge difference in the flavor of this dish. Also, don’t try and leave out the chipotle pepper, it also adds a smokiness and makes this dish so delicious.
- 4 boneless , skinless chicken breasts
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Ro-tel tomatoes (mild or regular)
- 1 can (10 oz) mild enchilada sauce (I used Old El Paso)
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chipotle pepper in adobo sauce , chopped
- 4 cups cooked rice (brown or white)
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- Sour cream , avocado, cilantro
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
Place chicken in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker.
In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, enchilada sauce, garlic powder, paprika, salt, cumin and chipotle pepper; mix well and pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until chicken is tender.
Remove chicken to a plate and shred using two forks. Return chicken to the slow cooker. Add cooked rice and beans and stir well. Sprinkle cheese evenly across the top and cover. Let heat through about 20-30 minutes.
Garnish sour cream, cilantro and avocado, if desired..