Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 7 hrs
Total Time: 7 hrs 30 mins
Servings: 8 people
For the posole:
- 2 1/2 pounds Boneless Country Pork Ribs (or pork butt)
- salt and pepper
- 3 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- 2 (15-ounce) cans white or yellow hominy, drained (do not rinse)
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced fire roasted tomatoes with juice
- juice of 1 lime
Optional toppings for serving:
- lime wedges
- hot sauce
- shredded cheese or Cotija cheese crumbled
- sliced radishes
- diced avocado
- red onions minced
- red pepper flakes
- chips or corn tortillas
- Trim any visible fat from the pork and cut into 1-inch pieces. Season with salt and pepper. Heat 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the pork pieces to the pan and cook until browned, about 8-10 minutes. Add the browned pork to the slow cooker. Add another teaspoon of oil to the pan and once shimmering, brown the remaining pork. Remove to the slow cooker.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the last teaspoon of oil to the pan. Once heated add the chopped onions. Sauté the onions until softened and browned, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin and oregano to the onions. Stir and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the onion and garlic mixture to the slow cooker.
- Add the minced chipotle peppers with adobo sauce, hominy, chicken broth, bay leaf and fire roasted canned tomatoes to the slow cooker. Stir to combine. Cover and cook until the pork is very tender, about 6 to 7 hours on high or 7 to 8 on low.
- Turn off the slow cooker and remove the bay leaf. Skim any fat from the surface of the soup. Season with salt and pepper to taste and add the juice of 1 lime. Serve with your favorite toppings.