Say hello to your new favorite one skillet chicken dinner that’s topped with a lemon garlic butter cream sauce! I used thin chicken breasts but this recipe would be delicious with boneless chicken thighs too!
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 4 hrs
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, OR 4-6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
3 teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
3 cups low sodium chicken broth
1½ cups orzo pasta (see note)
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 medium white or yellow onion, finely chopped
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
¼ teaspoon black pepper
½ cup shaved or finely shredded parmesan cheese
freshly cracked black pepper and herbs (such as thyme or parsley) for garnish
- Season chicken with a bit of the Italian seasonings and salt and pepper on both sides. Cook in a large nonstick skillet on the stove over medium-high heat 1-2 minutes on each side until browned on the outsides.
- Transfer chicken to a greased slow cooker. Add chicken broth, butter, mushrooms, onions, garlic, and salt and pepper to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 1-2 hours or on low for 3-4 hours. Stir in orzo, cover and cook for another 30-45 minutes on high.
- Uncover and use a fork to pull chicken out of the slow cooker. Stir contents of slow cooker, then return chicken to slow cooker, on top of the orzo mixture.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese over chicken. Cover and cook until cheese is melted, about 5-10 minutes. Serve with fresh herbs and cracked black pepper if desired.