- 2 (1 lb) packages mini smoked sausages (like the Little Smokies brand)
- 1 (12 oz) bottle chili sauce
- 1 cup grape jelly
- Combine mini smoked sausages or cocktail wieners in a slow cooker with chili sauce and grape jelly. Stir well. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 6 hours.
- Serve the little hot dogs or sausages from the slow cooker (set on LOW or WARM) with toothpicks, small plates, and napkins available for your guests.
- You might also spear them with toothpicks and arrange them on a plate drizzled with some of the sauce. Keep them warm on a warming tray or serve immediately.
Note: Chili sauce is a condiment that is similar to cocktail sauce (as opposed to Asian chili paste). Look for chili sauce near the ketchup in the supermarket.
Tips and Variations
- Instead of mini smoked sausages or mini wieners, use 2 pounds of Polish smoked sausage, andouille sausage or similar smoked sausage. Slice the sausage into 1/2-inch or 1-inch pieces.
- Add 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce to the sauce mixture.
- Replace the chili sauce with your favorite barbecue sauce.
- Add 1 or 2 cups of frozen pearl onions to the slow cooker with the mini sausages or cocktail wieners or add about 1 cup of sliced fresh onions.
- Replace the grape jelly with currant jelly or a can of cranberry sauce.
- Replace the grape jelly with apricot preserves and 1/4 cup of packed light brown sugar.
- Add about 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper for a little “bite.”
- For “spirited” little smokies, add a few tablespoons of bourbon to the sauce mixture.
Homemade Chili Sauce
- In a medium bowl, combine 1 cup tomato sauce, 1 tablespoon tomato paste, 2 to 3 tablespoons brown sugar, 2 tablespoons vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, 1/4 teaspoon allspice, and 1/4 teaspoon onion powder.
- Blend well. Store covered in the refrigerator.