This all purpose Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Beef is great for tacos, burritos and more! Quick and easy prep work and the crock pot does the rest.
PREP 15 mins
COOK 9 hours
TOTAL 9 hours, 15 mins
YIELD 10 servings
3 pounds beef chuck roast
1 onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
Juice of one lime (1-2 tablespoons)
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
- Mix together the chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt, oregano and red chili flakes, set aside.
- Add the chopped onion and garlic to the slow cooker with the tomato paste, lime juice, and just 1-2 teaspoons of the spice mixture. Stir everything together until fully mixed.
- Sprinkle the rest of the spices all over the chuck roast, patting to help it stick to the meat.
- Place the meat on top of the onion mixture and set cook on low for 7-8 hours. Total cooking time will vary for different roasts.
- After meat has cooked, use two forks to shred the meat, removing any large pieces of fat or gristle as you find them. (If the meat is still too tough to shred, it needs to be cooked a little longer. Cook for an additional 30-60 minutes and check it again.) Stir to mix well with the sauce. Cover and continue to cook on low for another 30-60 minutes.
- Before serving stir well again to mix the meat with the sauce. Taste meat and season with more salt to taste.
This type of meat will get tender buy cooking low and slow. If it seems too tough when you think it is done, try cooking for another 30-60 minutes, then check again. The longer you cook it, the more tender it will get.