2 cans (800g/28oz each can) crushed tomatoes (see notes)
1 (170g/6 oz) can tomato paste
1 medium brown onion (or white or yellow), diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 bay leaves (dried or fresh)
1 tbsp brown sugar (or honey)
1 tbsp dried basil
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1½ tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker. Set for 6 to 8 hours on low.
- Optional step: Remove bay leaves, then use a handheld blender to puree until smooth (or to your liking).
- Cool before refrigerating or freezing.
To use for pasta
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and add pasta.
- Heat olive oil in a pan, add garlic and diced onion, cook until translucent then add 2 cups of Marinara Sauce per 500g/1lb of dried pasta.
- Bring sauce to rapid simmer, then add pasta (cooked to just before al dente).
- Add ¼ cup of pasta water and cook for 1 to 2 minutes until pasta is al dente and the sauce has thickened and coats the pasta.
- Serves 4 hungry people or 6 normal servings.