Prep Time: 40 mins
Cook Time: 6 hours
Yield: 8 servings
For the Jamaican Jerk Chicken Chili:
- 2 – 2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 8 sprigs green onion, plus more, to top
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 3 bell peppers, diced (I like to use one red, one green, and one yellow)
- 1 habanero pepper, finely minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup mild jamaican jerk marinade
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Juice of 3 limes
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Shredded cheddar cheese, to top
- Sliced avocado, to top
For the Plantain Chips:
- 3 large unripe (green) plantains
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Coarse sea salt
- Combine the chicken, onions, peppers, beans, crushed tomato, garlic, jamaican jerk marinade, soy sauce, salt, brown sugar, thyme, cumin, allspice, black pepper, and cinnamon in a large slow cooker. Stir gently to ensure that the spices are distributed.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 4 hours. In the mean time, make the plantain chips.
- Cut off the ends of the plantains and cut shallow, vertical slits in each side of the skin of each plantain. Microwave for 1 minute at 50 percent power. Pull off the peel of each plantain, and then slice into 1/8″ thick slices using a mandoline.
- In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, heat an inch and a half of oil to 350°F over medium heat. Working in batches, carefully add the plantain slices to the hot oil. Cook until golden brown, turning occasionally, about 4-5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the plantain chips to a paper towel lined plate to drain and cool. Then, sprinkle with sea salt. Set aside until ready to serve.
- When the chili has cooked, remove the lid, stir, and shred the chicken. Then, mix in the lime juice and cilantro. Taste and adjust seasonings accordingly.
- Serve warm with additional green onion, shredded cheese, and sliced avocado, if desired.