4 lb boneless beef chuck pot roast
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
2 green bell peppers, sliced
2 yellow onions, sliced
1 12 oz jar sliced pepperoncini (plus more for serving)
10 crusty sandwich rolls, split and toasted
20 slices Provolone cheese
- Spray the insert of a 6 or 7 qt slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Drain the pepperoncinis reserving three tablespoons of the liquid.
- Combine the salt, pepper, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning in small bowl.
- Trim the fat from the roast and season each side with roughly one-third of the seasonings.
- Place the roast in the slow cooker.
- Pour the tomato sauce over the roast.
- Top with the green bell peppers, onions, and pepperoncinis.
- Sprinkle the remaining third of the seasonings on top as well as the reserved pepperoncini liquid.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 10 to 12 hours or on high for 5 to 6 hours.
- Preheat oven to 250F.
- Use two forks to shred the meat. It should be so tender that it basically just falls apart.
- Using a pair of tongs or a slotted spoon, place the shredded beef mixture along with onions and peppers on the bottom half of the rolls. Make sure you let most of the liquid drain away so your sandwiches don’t get soggy.
- Top the shredded beef mixture with additional pepperoncinis if desired, and two (or more) slices of Provolone cheese. Place in oven just until cheese melts. Serve immediately.