Yield: Serves 4-6
Total Time: 4 hours
2 to 2.5 pounds (910g-1140g) boneless skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs
1/2 cup (120ml) honey
1/4 cup (60ml) soy sauce (or Tamari for gluten free)
1/4 cup (60ml) mustard
2 Tablespoons (30ml) malt vinegar (or distilled vinegar for gluten free)
4 garlic cloves, mashed
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, or to taste
To thicken the sauce (optional)
2 Tablespoons (30ml) cornstarch
2 Tablespoons (30ml) water
- In a 4 quart slow cooker, combine honey, soy sauce, mustard, malt vinegar, garlic and black pepper. Stir to combine all ingredients together well.
- Add the chicken and press chicken down to cover it in as much sauce as possible.
- Cook the chicken 4-5 hours on High or 6 hours on Low until the chicken is moist and tender.
- Stir the chicken about 2 times, if possible, during the cooking and push the chicken down so it’s immersed in the sauce.
- Optional: to thicken the sauce (do this about 1 hour before chicken is finished cooking). Make the corn starch slurry: mix cornstarch and cold water in small bowl. Stir the mixture so that all the cornstarch is completely dissolved, leaving no lumps.
- Quickly stir in the cornstarch slurry into the crock pot teriyaki mixture and combine well so that the cornstarch doesn’t thicken and become lumpy. Finish cooking for the final hour.
- Serve the hot and delicious chicken over rice, pasta or in a sandwich!