Reminiscent of the classic Buffalo wings, this chili is super easy and is loaded with delicious flavor!
For the spice mix:
- 3 tablepoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon sweet smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
For the chili:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large large yellow onion* diced small (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3 medium stalks celery* diced small
- 4 medium cloves garlic finely minced
- 2 ½ cups low sodium chicken broth
- 6 15.5- ounce cans Great Northern Beans
- 2 14 1/2- ounce cans fire-roasted canned tomatoes
- 2 4.5- ounce cans diced green chilies
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs trimmed of fat and diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 ounces Neufchâtel cheese optional**, diced into 1 inch pieces
For topping and serving:
- chopped fresh cilantro
- lime wedges
- shredded cheddar or Monterrey Jack cheese
- tortilla chips
Combine all spice mix ingredients in a small bowl. Stir well to combine. Set aside.
Combine olive oil, onion, celery and garlic in a medium large microwave-safe bowl. Stir well to combine, then add the spice mix and stir again.
Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in microwave. Cook on high power for 2 minutes. Remove from microwave, stir well, then cook another 2 minutes. Add to the slow cooker.
Drain and rinse 2 cans of the beans. Combine beans with chicken broth in a blender container. Blend on high for about 30 seconds or until nice an smooth. Add to the onion mixture in the slow cooker.
Drain and rinse remaining 4 cans of beans, Add beans, tomatoes, green chilis, oregano and chicken to slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
If using Neufchâtel cheese, stir in during the last 30 minutes of the cooking time, stirring occasionally.
Serve top with cheddar or Monterrey Jack cheese, chopped cilantro and tortilla chips, if desired.