Wonderfully tender, Homemade Slow Cooker Beef Tips and Gravy (without any “cream of” anything!) is richly satisfying, comforting and flavorful and the perfect make ahead meal for busy weeknights!
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 4 hrs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds stew meat, beef chuck or sirloin cut into large bite size pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4-6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons beef bouillon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 tsp EACH dried parsley, paprika
- 1/4 tsp EACH dried oregano, dried thyme
- While meat is still on the cutting board, toss it with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add beef (work in 2 batches if needed) to the very hot skillet and let cook undisturbed for approximately 2 minutes, or until nicely seared on one side, then continue to cook while stirring until beef is browned all over but not cooked through. Remove beef to 6-quart (or larger) slow cooker and top with onions and garlic.
- To the remaining juices left in the skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Whisk in the flour until dissolved followed by all of the Gravy ingredients. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer until thickened to the consistency of thick gravy. Add to slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or on LOW for 5-7 hours. Beef is ready when it is melt in your mouth tender. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve with potatoes, pasta or rice.