Total Time: 2 hrs 15 mins
1 1⁄2 lbs round steaks
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 cups water
1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1 teaspoon cumin seed
1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
1 clove garlic, minced
1⁄2 green bell pepper, diced
1⁄2 onion, sliced
1 fresh tomato, diced
1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Cube meat (about 1″), removing all fat and gristle.
- Sear meat in oil.
- Add water and cook on medium-low heat for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Toast cumin seeds in a small sauté skillet on medium-high until they begin to smoke slightly.
- Grind the hot cumin seeds with a mortar and pestle.
- Add oregano, ground toasted cumin, black pepper, salt and garlic to the meat.
- Add vegetables (bell pepper, onion and tomato) and continue to cook about 30 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, chili powder and paprika.
- Continue to simmer for another 15-20 minutes.
- While the meat is simmering, heat 2 tbsp oil in a small sauté pan and add flour over medium-low heat.
- Stir the flour and oil constantly until the flour turns a light golden brown (roux).
- Add the roux to the meat and continue to simmer for about another 30 minutes.
- Serve carne guisada with rice and beans and flour or corn tortillas.
- Note: can speed the cooking time by using a pressure cooker.