Total Time: 22 minutes
- 1 (2 1/2″) piece ginger, peeled
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 medium yellow onion
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 3 breasts), cut into 1″ cubes
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided, plus more to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided, plus more to taste
- 2 1/2 teaspoons garam masala, divided
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup plain full-fat or low-fat yogurt (not Greek)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves and tender stems
- Naan (Indian flatbread; for serving)
- Pulse ginger and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped. Add onion and pulse again until finely chopped.
- Toss chicken with 1 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. pepper, and 1 tsp. garam masala in a medium bowl.
- Heat oil over high in a large skillet (at least 12″ in diameter). Add chicken and cook, tossing occasionally, until lightly browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer chicken to a clean medium bowl.
- Heat same skillet over medium-high and add butter, chopped onion mixture, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened and translucent, about 3 minutes. Add tomato paste, turmeric, cayenne, and remaining 1 1/2 tsp. garam masala and cook, stirring constantly, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until hot, about 2 minutes. Return chicken to pan, add peas, and cook, stirring occasionally, until warmed through, about 1 minute more.
- Remove from heat and stir in yogurt and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Divide among 4 plates, top with cilantro, and serve with naan.