2 1/2 pounds baby red potatoes, sliced into small bite-sized pieces
1/2 lb. uncooked bacon, finely diced
1 medium onion, diced
1/4 bunch celery, diced
8 cups milk
3 cups water
4 chicken bouillon cubes (use 1 cup of the hot potato water to dissolve, then use the 3 cups of water)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 cup salted butter
3/4 cup flour
1/4 bunch freshly chopped parsley
1 cup whipping cream
fried bacon bits
chopped green onions
- In a large pot, boil potatoes in water 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In sauté pan, cook bacon until crisp. Drain bacon fat and place on a paper towel over the plate to drain more. Add onion and celery to bacon pan over medium-high heat until celery is tender, about 5 minutes.
- To the large potato pan, add milk, water, bullion, salt, and pepper. Cook over medium-high heat until mixture is very hot, about 8 minutes, stirring often. Do not let the mixture boil.
- In small, heavy saucepan melt butter. Add flour and mix well. Cook over medium-low heat until mixture bubbles, stirring 2 to 3 minutes to make a roux.
- While constantly stirring soup, add roux slowly until soup is thick and creamy, about 4 minutes. Stir in parsley, reserved potatoes, and cream. Garnish with cheese, bacon bits, onions or all three.
- Serve hot