Philly Cheese Steak Sloppy Joes will make you forget your childhood canned sauce memories and make you LOVE sloppy joes again.
1 pound lean ground beef
2 tablespoons butter
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 small green bell pepper, diced
8 ounces brown mushrooms minced
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 cup beef broth
8 ounces Provolone Cheese Slices, chopped (use 6oz if you don’t want it very cheesy)
6 brioche hamburger buns
- Add the ground beef to a large cast iron skillet (this browns very well) and brown until a deep brown crust appears before breaking the beef apart.
- Stir the ground beef and brown until a deep crust appears on about 50 or so percent of the beef.
- Remove the beef (you can leave the fat) and add the butter and the onions and bell peppers and mushrooms.
- Let brown for 1-2 minutes before stirring, then let brown for another 1-2 minutes before stirring again.
- Add the beef back into the pan.
- In a small cup mix the beef broth and cornstarch together
- Add the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, salt, black pepper, beef broth/cornstarch mixture into the pan.
- Cook until the mixture is only slightly liquidy (about 75% of the mixture is above liquid), 3-5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, add in the provolone cheese.
- Served on toasted brioche buns.