Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 8 hrs
- 1.5 cups steel cut oats — do not substitute quick cooking, instant, or rolled oats, gluten free if needed
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups milk — any kind you like (I used skim)
- 2 large mashed ripe bananas — plus additional banana slices for serving
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed meal*
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg — it’s an amazing flavor upgrade to grate your own nutmeg. I use this zester to do it.
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- For serving: chopped toasted walnuts — raisins, chocolate chips, maple syrup, peanut butter, or any other mix-ins you enjoy with banana bread
- Place all of the ingredients except the toppings in the bottom of a 4-to-6-quart slow cooker and stir to combine: Steel cut oats, water, milk, mashed bananas, flaxseed meal, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours (overnight) or on high for 4 hours, until the oats are soft but maintain a bit of chew. Remove cover and stir to evenly combine the ingredients. Enjoy warm with desired toppings.
Overnight steel cut oats can be refrigerated for up to 1 week or frozen for up to 2 months. To reheat, top desired amount with a few tablespoons of water or milk, then warm in the microwave or in a small saucepan until hot. If the oatmeal is frozen, let thaw overnight in the refrigerator first. *The ground flaxseed meal I added for a nutritional boost. If you don’t have it or do not wish to add it, simply omit it. You can also substitute chia seeds or hulled hemp seeds.