Total Time: 2 hrs 20 mins
4 beef shanks, cut 1 1/2 inches thick
1⁄4 cup flour
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
1⁄4 cup olive oil
1 large onion
8 garlic cloves
3 celery ribs
3 large carrots, 1/2 inch
1 hot chili pepper, long
1⁄2 teaspoon orange zest (optional)
1⁄4 teaspoon sage
1 teaspoon parsley
1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
1 bay leaf
1 cup beef stock
3⁄4 cup red wine
4 large tomatoes, skinned and chopped
3 ounces pancetta
- heat oven to 325 degrees.
- dredge the shanks in flour salt and pepper mixture.
- heat olive oil in stainless steel pan and brown beef shanks 2-3 minutes per side.
- Remove shanks from oil and add carrots onion garlic celery and pancetta stir together 2-3 minutes and.(pancetta can be fried prior to browning beef to crisp and add back in when adding zest).
- add the herbs and fry 2-3 minutes and then add the chilli pepper and orange zest and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- add the wine and deglaze the pan and boil for 3-4 minutes and then add beef stock and tomato.
- place the beef shanks in the mixture or place all in a dutch oven and place in the oven for 120 minutes.