One Pot Minced Beef Hotpot is packed full of root vegetables and peas with a hint of horseradish sauce – fabulous family comfort food!
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 1 hr 32 mins
3 tbsp Rapeseed Oil
2 Large onions, diced
400g Beef shin or casserole steak, minced
275g Swede, diced
2 Large carrots, chopped
2 Parsnips, chopped
1 Cup frozen peas
2 tbsp Plain flour
500 mls Beef stock
4 shakes of Worcestershire Sauce
1 tbsp Cream of horseradish sauce
500g Potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
15g Melted butter or 1 tbsp oil (for glazing potatoes)
Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a large oven proof pan (I used cast iron) heat the oil over a medium heat and sweat the onions under a lid until tender, stirring occasionally (about 8 minutes).
- Push the onions to the outside, turn the heat up a little, add the mince and fry until browned all over.
- Add another tbsp of oil then add all the chopped vegetables and fry for a couple of minutes stirring.
- Next add the flour and cook for a further minute, stirring.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Add the beef stock, Worcestershire sauce, horseradish sauce, seasoning and peas, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Take off the heat, lay overlapping potato slices on top and then brush with melted butter or oil.
- Replace the lid and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove lid and place under a hot grill until potatoes start to go golden (about 8 minutes).
- Serve on its own or with some crusty bread.