Old Fashioned Banana Cream Pie is from scratch homemade pie recipe like your grandmas used to make.
For the pie crust:
11/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 sticks (1/2 cup) unsalted butter diced and chilled
2-4 tablespoons ice water
For the filling:
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups milk
4 egg yolks- beaten
3 tablespoons butter
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the topping:
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
To make the pie crust:
- Mix flour, salt and sugar in a medium-size bowl. Add pieces of chilled unsalted butter. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add 2 tablespoons ice water and using your hands knead until dough comes together , DO NOT OVERDO IT!!! (If it’s still crumbly, add water a tablespoon at a time, up to 2 more tablespoons, but don’t use too much water or the crust will shrink while baking).
- Flatten the dough into disks, wrap in plastic and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Roll the dough on a floured surface into a 14-inch round, wrap around rolling pin and carefully unroll over a 9-inch pie plate and gently press into bottom and side of plate. Trim dough to a 1-inch overhang, fold under, and seal to form a rim, then crimp the rim with fingertips. Using a fork poke the bottom of the crust or use pie weights. Wrap with plastic wrap and set in the fridge or freezer. The dough must be well chilled before baking!!!
- Bake in preheated oven at 375 F until golden brown. Cool completely and set aside.
To make the vanilla pudding:
- In a large saucepan, stir together sugar, cornstarch, salt and milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly(about 8 minutes) then reduce heat and cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat and stir a small amount of hot filling into eggs stirring well (be careful not to scramble the eggs) return all to pan and bring to a gentle boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla. Transfer to a bowl, cover, and chill for 30 minutes.
- Spread half of the vanilla pudding into cooled pie crust. Slice bananas and arrange over filling. Pour remaining pudding over bananas, cover and set in the fridge until thicken (for 6 hours or overnight).
- Before serving, make the whipped cream. Beat the heavy whipping cream on high speed until stiff peaks form, adding 1/2 tablespoon of powdered sugar slowly during mixing.
- Top pie with whipped cream and banana slices. Sprinkle with chocolate shavings if desired.