This flavorful Mississippi Pot Roast is a great make-ahead freezer meal. It’s slow cooked in the crock pot to create tender shredded beef in a saucy gravy. Serve it with mashed potatoes, rice, or noodles.Prep Time 10 minutes Cook Time 8 hours Total Time 8 hours 10 minutes Yield 8 servings
- 2-3 lb beef roast (chuck, rump, cross rib)
- 1 (1oz) packet dry ranch dressing mix
- 1 (1oz) packet dry au jus gravy mix
- 1/4-1/2 tsp ground black pepper (keep in mind the pepperoncinis also add spice)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 6-8 whole pepperoncini peppers
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp COLD water
- TO FREEZE (OPTIONAL): Place everything EXCEPT the cornstarch and water into a gallon size zip-top freezer bag. Squeeze excess air out and freeze upright on a flat surface (like a cookie sheet). *Make sure all of the liquid sits on the bottom with the beef. This makes it easier to empty into your crockpot and keeps it from adhering to the freezer rack. Freeze up to 3 months.
- TO COOK FROM FROZEN: Empty freezer bag into slow cooker. Cook 1 hour on high, then 7-9 hours on low OR simply 8-10 hours on low, until meat is tender. Mix cornstarch and cold water. Pour into slow cooker the last 10-30 minutes of cook time. Cook until thick, then shred meat. Serve over mashed potatoes, rice, or noodles.
- TO COOK IMMEDIATELY: Place roast in slow cooker. Sprinkle other ingredients on top EXCEPT for the cornstarch and water. Cook on LOW for 8 hours, until meat is tender. Mix cornstarch and cold water. Pour into slow cooker the last 10-30 minutes of cook time. Cook until thick, then shred meat. Serve over mashed potatoes, rice, or noodles.