Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 35 mins
1.2 lb ground turkey
2 Tbsp jerk seasoning
2 clove garlic, minced
15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
10 oz can diced tomatoes & green chilies
3 Tbsp olive oil, extra virgin, divided
1 large sweet red bell pepper, cut into strips and halved
1 medium sweet yellow onion, halved and sliced
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 pinch kosher salt
1 1/2 c low fat blue cheese dressing (i used wishbone)
2 tsp hot sauce
1 tsp celery seed
1/2 bunch cilantro leaves, chopped
3 large pita rounds, cut in half
6 celery stalks, cleaned & cut in half
1/2 bag baby carrots, cleaned
- Drain tomatoes over a small bowl and reserve the drained liquid and place tomatoes into a medium-sized bowl. Rinse and drain black beans, mash and place into bowl with tomatoes. Add the ground turkey and jerk seasoning and mix gently but thoroughly with hands, cover and set aside.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high and add 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil. When hot, add the pepper and onion strips, balsamic vinegar and a pinch of kosher salt. Reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Put into the bowl with reserved tomato liquid.
- In a small bowl, mix the dressing, hot sauce and celery seed. Mix in the cilantro and refrigerate until needed.
- Divide meat into 6 equal portions and shape each portion into an oblong patty and place on waxed paper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in the non-stick skillet over medium-high and when hot, add 3 patties and cook for 4 minutes on each side. Remove to a plate and repeat with remaining 3 patties.
- To assemble, cut fresh Pita rounds in half and put one patty in each. Using tongs, put equal amounts of onion mix over the patties and spoon the Hot-Blue sauce into the Pitas.