Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour 20 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 30 minutes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 1/2 cups bell peppers finely diced – can use any color of a combination of colors
- 2 teaspoons garlic minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 10 ounce cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 10 ounce can diced tomatoes with green chiles do not drain
- 4 cups diced cooked chicken
- 16 corn tortillas cut into squares
- 4 cups shredded cheese cheddar, Monterey jack, or a blend
- 2 Roma tomatoes seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves chopped
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9″x13″ pan with cooking spray.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add the onion and bell peppers to the pan. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until tender.
- Add the garlic to the pan and cook for one more minute. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper.
- Add the chili powder, ground cumin, cream of chicken soup, can of tomatoes and chicken to the pan. Stir until everything is combined and heated through.
- Line the bottom of the dish with 1/3 of the tortillas. Spoon 1/3 of the chicken mixture over the tortillas and sprinkle 1/3 of the cheese over the chicken mixture.
- Add another layer of tortillas and continue until all the layers have been added, ending with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake covered for 45 minutes, then uncover and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and starting to brown.
- Let sit for 5-10 minutes, then top with tomatoes and cilantro. Cut into squares and serve.
Recipe can be halved and baked in a 9″ x 9″ square pan for a smaller group.