Just because we cook on a budget does not mean we sacrifice flavor. This Italian Beef and Noodle Casserole which cost approximately $9.29 to make feeds 6-8 people. The dish is flavorful and filling and will satisfy your hungry family. With the exception of using a pot to par-boil the noodles this is all made in one skillet and on the stove top. Serve with a side vegetable of your choice or serve just the casserole as we did.
- D1 lb. ground beef (I used chuck)
- 1/2 package broad egg noodles
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup (6 oz.) sour cream
- 1/2 bag shredded mozzarella (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2-3 garlic cloves – minced
- 1 tsp. dried parsley flakes
- 1 tsp. granulated garlic
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- In a sauce pot bring salted water to a boil and add in the egg noodles and cook for 9 minutes. Drain and set aside while you brown the meat. So the noodles won’t stick, drizzle a bit of olive oil over them and toss around.
- In a deep skillet that has a lid, over medium heat brown the beef and break it apart. Add salt and black pepper and mix in.
- When the beef is 3/4 cooked add in the onion and garlic and stir. Cook for a couple of minutes stirring over MEDIUM LOW heat.
- Next add in the rest of the dried spices along with the tomato sauce and sour cream. Stir well. Add in the noodles and cook covered over low heat for about 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes add in the Parmesan cheese and the shredded mozzarella and cook on low covered until the cheese melts. Takes about 8-10 minutes longer.