12 C popped popcorn (about 1/2 C kernels)
1 C brown sugar
1/4 C white Karo syrup
1/2 t salt
1 stick real butter
1/2 t baking soda
1 t vanilla
- Pop popcorn and place in a very large bowl; set aside. Place brown sugar, Karo syrup, salt, and butter in a saucepan.
- Heat over medium heat until the butter has melted and the mixture is nice and bubbly.
- Remove the caramel from the heat and add baking soda and vanilla, it will get all bubbly and foamy.
- Pour the mixture over the popped corn and stir very well until all of the popcorn is covered.
- At this point you can leave it as is for some nice, chewy caramel corn or you can bake it up to make it nice and
- crunchy. For crunchy caramel corn, bake on an oiled cookie sheet at 225 degrees for about an hour, stirring every 15 minutes, or until it reaches your desired level of crunch.