HEALTHY SLOW COOKER TIKKA MASALA – Made with aromatic
Prep Time 20 mins
Cook Time 4 hrs
Total Time 4 hrs 20 mins
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 lbs. bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
- 30 ounces tomato sauce
- 3 tablspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground tumeric
- 3/4 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Add the onion to the bottom of your slow cooker.Add the chicken right on top of the onion.Pour the tomato sauce over the chicken.
- Top the sauce with garlic, ginger and all of the seasonings: 1 tablespoon of the garam masala, paprika, turmeric, curry and salt.Gently stir together the sauce with the seasonings.Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook for 3-4 hours on high (or 6-8 hours on low).
- Once it is finished cooking, using tongs remove the chicken thighs from the sauce and transfer them to a plate or cutting board. Remove the bones from the chicken and then shred all of the chicken meat. I do this using two forks and just pull the meat apart.
- Once the chicken is shredded add it back to the sauce.Stir together the 3/4 cup coconut milk and the remaining teaspoon of garam masala. Pour coconut milk into chicken and sauce.
- Serve over rice or with flat bread and top with fresh cilantro.This makes a great freezer meal!