This Paleo + Whole30 grilled pineapple chicken has a smoky
- 1 fresh pineapple, skin removed and cut into rounds with the core removed
- 2 lbs boneless chicken thighs (or breasts)
For the marinade:
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 4-6 pitted dates, soaked for 10-15 minutes in warm water to soften then drained
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
For serving and topping:
- White or cauli rice (Cauli rice for Whole30)
- Mixed greens
- Chopped green onions (for topping)
- Soak dates in warm water as noted to soften.
- To make the marinade, place all of the ingredients in a blender or food processor and run continuously to combine all the ingredients until smooth. Stop to scrape sides down as needed and restart.
- Place chicken in a shallow bowl or dish and pour the marinade over. Toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- When you are about ready to grill, cut pineapple into rounds as noted. Cut out the tough inner core from the rounds and set aside.
- Heat your grill to high heat (about 500° F). Add the chicken and pineapple to grill and cook, flipping once and basting chicken with any remaining marinade until cooked through, about 5-6 minutes on each side depending on the size of the chicken. Remove pineapple when it is grilled to your liking (we grilled it just 3-4 minutes per side).
- Serve chicken and pineapple with your desired side, over rice or over greens (or greens and rice). Enjoy.