1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 (12 oz) package pre-cooked jalapeno chicken sausage (sliced or chopped into bite-sized pieces)
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup diced red bell pepper
4 garlic cloves (minced)
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp cayenne (ground red pepper)
4 cups fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
½ cup canned green chiles
2 cups baby red or yukon gold potatoes (scrubbed & chopped)
3 cups frozen whole-kernel corn
½ cup all-purpose flour
2 cups 1% milk
1½ cups shredded 50% reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add chicken sausage, onion, bell pepper, garlic and sauté 5 minutes.
- Add cumin, and cayenne pepper into the mixture, and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add broth, green chiles and potatoes and bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until potatoes are tender (10-15 minutes).
- Add corn and stir well. Raise stove heat to medium.
- Place flour in a bowl and gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended.
- Add flour mixture to soup and cook over medium heat until thick (about 15 minutes), stirring frequently.
- Stir in cheese, salt, and pepper and serve with bread.