3 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup butter flavored shortening
2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup sour cream
1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/4 teaspoons lemon extract
1 cup milk
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 10 inch tube pan.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the sour cream, vanilla and lemon extract. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk, mixing just until incorporated. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- While cake is baking, make the glaze: In a small bowl, combine lemon juice and confectioners sugar; stir until smooth. *Note cake show in picture was not done in tube pan, but done in loaf pans instead.