1 loaf French bread (13 to 16 ounces)
8 large eggs
2 cups half-and-half
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Slice the french bread into 20 (1 inch) slices.
- Arrange the slices in a generously buttered 9 by 13-inch baking dish in 2 rows, overlapping the slices.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half-and-half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and whisk until blended.
- Pour mixture over the bread slices, making sure all are covered evenly with the milk-egg mixture. Spoon some of the mixture in between the slices.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Now, for the Praline Topping you will need….
2 sticks of butter
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Blend well. Cover and leave at room temperature overnight.
- The next day, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread Praline Topping evenly over the bread.
- Bake for 40 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden.
- Serve warm.