Cook Time: 4 hours
1 pound lean ground beef
1 (16 oz.) package velveeta, cubed
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
1 cup carrots, finely chopped
1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
4 small potatoes, peeled and diced
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups whole milk
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried parsley
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
cheddar cheese, grated
- Heat a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat and cook ground beef, breaking it up as it cooks, until browned. Season generously with salt and pepper and garlic powder.
- Drain fat, then wipe out skillet with a paper towel. Melt butter in skillet, then whisk in flour. Cook roux for 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown, then whisk in whole milk. Season with salt and pepper, then remove from heat and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Place beef, along with onion, carrot, celery and potatoes in slow cooker and cover with chicken broth. Season with basil and parsley, the cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours, or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in refrigerated roux mixture, then add in cubed velveeta. Cover again and cook for another 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and soup is thick and smooth.
- Serve hot, topped with cheese and bacon bits. Enjoy!