1/2 pound uncooked rigatoni
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 pound Italian sausage with casing removed
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup beef broth or red wine
1 can petite diced tomatoes
1 8-ounce can tomato paste
1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
1 teaspoon finely chopped basil
parmesan cheese or grated non-dairy cheese (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and onions, and sauté for about 2 minutes, just until the onions are translucent.
- Add ground sausage to skillet and stir until fully cooked, about 5 minutes.
- Add beef broth or wine and scrap browned sausage bits off the bottom of the skillet.
- Add tomatoes and tomato paste, stir all ingredients well, turn heat down to low-medium and simmer for at least 10 minutes.
- Add cooked pasta and 1/4 cup reserved pasta water to the skillet and stir all ingredients until the pasta is coated with the sauce. If needed, add more reserve water to create a sauce consistency to your liking.
- Remove from heat. Sprinkle parsley and/or cheese just before serving.