Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
3 tbsp cooking oil (I used vegetable)
1 large onion , diced (brown, white, yellow)
2 large garlic cloves , minced
2 tbsp curry powder (Note 5)
1 tsp All Spice powder
1 tsp nutmeg powder (or 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg) (Note 1)
1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika (can substitute with sweet or ordinary paprika)
2 tsp dried thyme leaves (or 3 tsp fresh thyme leaves)
1 tsp cumin powder
3/4 tsp cayenne pepper (Note 2)
1 tsp white pepper (or 1/2 tsp black pepper)
1 1/2 cups potatoes , cut into 1.2cm / 1/2″ cubes
28 oz / 800g canned chickpeas (2 x 14oz/400g) , drained
14 oz / 400g canned diced tomatoes (Note 3)
2 cups vegetable or chicken broth/stock
2 scallion/shallot stems , sliced (green & white part)
2 tbsp fresh parsley , finely chopped (plus more for garnish) (Note 4)
Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a large pot or very deep skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the Flavour Base ingredients and cook for 3 minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Add the potatoes and cook for a further 2 minutes. If the spices start to stick to the bottom of the pot, add a tiny splash of water.
- Add the chickpeas, tomatoes and vegetable or chicken broth. Bring to simmer then turn down the heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked and the sauce has thickened.
- Adjust salt to taste, stir through scallions/shallots and parsley.
- Serve with rice.