These Crockpot Pork Carnitas are full of incredible flavor and so easy to make. They are super versatile and perfect for tacos or burritos!
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 8 hrs
3 lb to 4 pork shoulder
1 large onion quartered
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 bay leaves
1 whole cinnamon stick
1 cup orange juice
12 oz beer
- Cut the pork shoulder into large 2 inch chunks. Trim some of the fat if needed.
- In your crockpot add the rest of the ingredients and stir. Add the pork to the crockpot and stir. There should be enough liquid to cover the pork.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 5 hours.
- Take 2 forks and start shredding the meat into smaller pieces. Pour some of the leftover liquid over the meat or strain the liquid and use it to make a gravy. See notes for instructions.
- Serve on tacos, burritos, tamales, sandwiches, etc.
To make a gravy from the leftover juices, strain the liquid through a sieve. Add the liquid to a saucepan and sprinkle 2 to 3 tbsp of all-purpose flour over it. Whisk it vigorously until smooth and comes to a boil, over medium heat.
If you wanted crispy pork carnitas, line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spread the pulled pork over the prepared baking sheet and place it under the broiler for about 3 to 5 minutes or until crispy.