This crock pot oxtail stew is brimming with flavor, with a tasty broth mixture, potatoes, carrots, and a variety of herbs and seasonings.
The combination of red wine, beef broth, and tomato sauce make for a savory and flavorful oxtail stew.
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 to 4 lbs oxtails, disjointed
2 medium onions, chopped
garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 potatoes, cut in chunks
2 carrots, chopped
1 1/2 cups
3/4 cup dry red wine
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 dried red chile pepper, seeded, chopped
2 whole cloves
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; brown the oxtails on all sides.
- Reduce the heat to medium; add the onions and cook for 5 minutes longer.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Sprinkle the flour over the meat and vegetables and stir to blend. Cook for 2 minutes longer.
- Put potatoes in bottom of the crock pot along with carrots.
- Add the oxtail mixture.
- Deglaze the pan with the red wine and pour over the oxtails in the slow cooker.
- Add the beef broth to the slow cooker along with the tomato sauce, peppercorns, oregano, chile pepper, cloves, bell pepper, and parsley. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cover and cook on low for 9 to 11 hours, or until the oxtails are very tender.