Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 4 hrs
10 medium Idaho potatoes; peeled
8 oz pkg diced ham, or cut your own
1/2 c chopped onion (I use frozen-no more tears!!)
1 can(s) Campbell’s cheddar cheese soup
1 can(s) cream of mushroom soup, light
1 /2 c cheddar cheese, shredded
1 tsp dry mustard and white pepper
KICKED UP CREAMY VERSION
2 Tbsp butter or margarine
4 Tbsp flour
1 can(s) fat free evaporated milk
1-1 1/2 c shredded swiss cheese
paprika, just a sprinkle
- Regular version: In a large bowl mix the two soups and feel free to add a tiny splash of milk, then add the onion, hams and seasonings. Slice the potatoes in half and then into slices; add to soup and mix well. Put into the crock pot, and add a sprinkle of paprika. Cook on high 4 hours or low 7-8 hours. Sprinkle the cheddar on top during last 10 min.
- Kicked Up version: Place peeled potatoes in a bowl of water. Melt the butter over med-high heat, cook and stir a few mins. Then whisk in the flour and stir. Add 1 cup of the evaporated milk and stir over med-high heat until bubbly and thickened; you may need the whole can.
- Stir in the cheddar soup, Swiss and cheddar cheese and seasonings, stir till melted and creamy. (You will not use the mushroom soup in this version 🙂
- Slice potatoes in half and then into slices. Place in a large bowl, along with onions and ham; mix well. Place in crock pot and cook the same as regular version. Let stand 10 min prior to serving.
- Some people like to layer the ingredients, instead of mixing in a bowl. I like it all mixed so the flavors marry. Use your preference!