Making your own thick, rich caramel is unbelievably effortless — as in “put ONE ingredient into your crock pot and forget about it until your caramel craving hits” effortless.
Makes two 14-oz cans of caramel
Prep Time: 2 minutes
Total Time: 8-10 hours
- 2 (14-oz) cans sweetened condensed milk
- Remove labels from cans of sweetened condensed milk.
- Add unopened cans of sweetened condensed milk to the crock of your slow cooker.
- Fill the crock with hot tap water until the water is covering the cans by about 1-2 inches. If needed, turn the cans on their sides to make sure they are covered with enough water.
- Heat on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 5-7 hours (depending on the desired color of the finished caramel).
- Allow cans to cool completely before attempting to open. You can speed up the process by covering cans with cold water and replacing with fresh cold water periodically.
- Refrigerate after opening.