1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef or pork (or a mixture of the two)
3 cloves garlic , minced
1 onion , diced
1 (15oz) can tomato sauce, divided
1 cup Water
1 can condensed tomato soup
1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon thyme
3/4 cup long grain white rice , uncooked
1 head cabbage
1/3 Cup Water
1 1/2 cups Mozzarella cheese (optional)
- Brown beef or pork, onion, garlic and seasonings over medium heat until no pink remains. Drain.
- Add 1 cup tomato sauce, 1 cup water and 1/2 can of tomato soup and diced tomatoes to the beef.
- Stir in rice, and mix well until heated through. Remove from heat.
- Chop cabbage into 4 wedges and remove core. Chop into chunks (mine were about 3/4″x1.5″).
- Layer 1/2 of the meat mixture and 1/2 of the cabbage in the slow cooker. Repeat layers.Place half the meat and then half the cabbage in cooker.
- Combine the remaining tomato soup, remaining tomato sauce and 1/3 cup water. Pour over top of cabbage.
- Cook on low 4-6 hours or just until rice is cooked. Once done, turn slow cooker off, sprinkle cheese on top and let sit 10 minutes to set and melt cheese.