Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 3+ hours
2 (29 oz.) cans pumpkin purée
1 (32 oz.) carton low-sodium chicken stock
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
1 bay leaf
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Melt butter in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat and sauté onion for 6-8 minutes, or until softened and translucent. Season with salt and pepper, then remove from heat.
- Place onion in slow cooker and add in pumpkin purée, garlic powder, ginger, cinnamon and chili powder. Season generously with salt and pepper, and add bay leaf.
- Stir in chicken stock and apple cider vinegar, then cover slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours.
- Remove cover and stir in heavy cream, taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Remove bay leaf and ladle into serving bowls, then top with sour cream or plain yogurt and bacon bits. Enjoy!