Did you know that you can bake cornbread in the slow cooker?
And you’ll love the technique for lining the Slow Cooker that makes it so easy to get the cornbread out and prevents it from getting too well done on the edges.
The only downside is that the top won’t get browned and crispy on the top – but it is super moist!
It’s super easy and a great way to bake in the summer since the crockpot won’t heat up your kitchen like the oven does. This cornbread is perfect for a potluck or a side dish with your dinner.
1 cup yellow corn meal
1 cup flour
1/4 cup white sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
- In a bowl whisk together the corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add in the milk, egg, oil and stir until combined. Do not overmix.
- Line the hot spot of your slow cooker with a double layer of foil.
- Cut out a piece of parchment paper that will fit in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Place the parchment paper in the bottom of the crock.
- Spray the sides of the slow cooker with some non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour the batter into the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 90 minutes-2 hours. Use a toothpick to check for doneness.
- Insert thetoothpick into the middle of the cornbread. If it comes out clean, it’s done.
- Let the bread cool for about 10 minutes.
- Place an oval platter upside down on top of the crock. Quickly flip the crock over so that the cornbread falls onto the top of the platter.
- Cut and serve.