1 pound ground beef, 85%*
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/6 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 cups water
12 to 16 standard hot dog buns, steamed**
For the Topping:
finely chopped onions, about 1 to 2 tablespoons for each hot dog
prepared yellow mustard
salt to taste
Optional: shredded sharp or mild Cheddar cheese
- In a medium saucepan or deep saute pan, brown the ground beef; drain well. To the ground beef add the finely chopped onion, chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, allspice, ground mustard, garlic powder, cumin, cinnamon, chili powder, black pepper, tomato paste, and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 to 2 hours.
- Grill, steam, or boil the hot dogs and steam or heat the buns.
- To assemble: Put a cooked hot dog in the steamed or toasted hot dog bun.
- Top with about 2 tablespoons of sauce to cover the hot dog. Sprinkle 1 to 2 tablespoons of chopped onion over the ground beef mixture then squirt a line of mustard the length of the hot dog.
- If desired, top the hot dogs with shredded Cheddar cheese, mild or sharp.
- *For a finer texture, pulse the ground beef in the food processor or use a potato masher to mash the beef as you cook it.