The best cilantro-lime chicken with a mango avocado salsa.
Prep Time 25 mins
Cook Time 10 mins
Marinate 2 hrs
Total Time 35 mins
- 1 and 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice, separated
- 1/2 cup + 1 teaspoon olive oil, separated
- 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice, separated
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons lime zest, separated
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon + 1/4 teaspoon cumin, separated
- 2 and 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro, separated
Mango Avocado Salsa
- 1 ripe mango
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped jalapeno, optional
- Fine sea salt and freshly cracked pepper
- Optional: cilantro-lime rice or quinoa (see recipe notes)
- Whisk together all of the marinade ingredients: 3/4 cup orange juice, olive oil, 1/3 cup lime juice, 1 teaspoon lime zest, honey, 1 teaspoon cumin, soy sauce, garlic, and 1/4 cup cilantro in a medium-sized bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste (I use about 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, but add to personal preference and reduce depending on sodium in soy sauce). Remove about 1/2 cup (put in an airtight container in the fridge for later) and pour the rest into a large sealable bag.
- Trim the chicken of fat and pound the breasts to even thickness or slice in half to get evenly sized breasts and place in the bag with marinade.
- Place in the fridge for at least 2 hours making sure to flip the bag halfway through the time it is in the fridge. I recommend marinating for 6-8 hours.
- Lightly oil the grill grate and then place the marinated chicken (discard marinade in bag) on the grill.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes turning as needed (depending on the size of your pieces) or until chicken juices run clear and internal temperature is at 165 degrees F.
- As you flip and cook the chicken, brush it generously with the reserved 1/2 cup marinade occasionally.
- For the salsa, take the remaining 1 tablespoon orange juice, remaining 2 tablespoons lime juice, remaining lime zest, and remaining 1/4 cup cilantro and toss together.
- (OPTIONAL: When grilling the chicken, also grill the mango. Brush with oil and grill on one side for about 4-5 minutes at medium-high heat.)
- Chop the grilled mango and avocado into small bite-sized pieces. Add to the salsa along with the finely chopped red onion, red pepper, and jalapeno. Season the salsa to taste with pepper, salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon cumin. Toss together and add the remaining 1 teaspoon of olive oil if desired.
- Serve grilled chicken over a bed of cilantro lime rice or quinoa if desired and add spoonfuls of the salsa to top. Enjoy immediately!
Cilantro Lime Rice/Quinoa:
- 1 cup quinoa or rice and 2 cups chicken stock, chicken broth, or water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large lime (2 tablespoons juice and 1 teaspoon zest)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Bring 2 cups of stock to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir in the butter and rice (or quinoa) and return to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the rice (or quinoa) is cooked through and tender. Stir in the lime juice, lime zest, cilantro, and salt + pepper to taste.